Tom Peets was a former accountant at Dunder Mifflin Scranton. In the episode Performance Review, Michael Scott reads some old suggestions from the suggestion box. One of them stated "We need better outreach for employees fighting depression" and it was signed by Tom. Michael thinks this is a fake suggestion considering there is nobody named Tom, but Phyllis reminds him that Tom had shot himself.
- During the Writer's Block Q&A session at The Office Convention in 2007 (shown on the Season 4 DVD), the writers jokingly suggested that-
- Tom's death created the void which temp Ryan was brought in to fill
- The original reason for filming their lives was to see how Dunder Mifflin-Scranton handled the suicide of a co-worker, but the crew changed course upon realizing that the day-to-day goings-on in this office would make a far more interesting documentary. Thus, Tom was the reason for the documentary's existence.
- That they had attended Tom's funeral the same day they started filming.
- In a press still from Did I Stutter?, Tom's last name is revealed as Peets.