"The Promotion" was the third episode of the sixth season and the show’s 103rd episode overall. It was written and directed by Jennifer Celotta who also wrote Company Picnic and The Duel. It originally aired on October 1, 2009. It was viewed by 7.28 million people.
The office is still trying to adjust to having both Michael and Jim as bosses, with Jim getting a newly built personal office space in the main section. Michael and Jim constantly find themselves at odds with each other as Michael keeps having "conference room meetings" while Jim wants to keep productivity in the office place. They get a call from CFO David Wallace who tells them that not everyone in the branch will get their desired raise and that they will have to decide how to disperse it among the employees. Michael gets annoyed when Jim keeps making pros and cons lists for each idea. Jim decides to give the raises to the sales staff since they bring money to the company. Michael is against the idea, but invites Jim to announce it to the office.
Jim tells the office that they are only going to give raises to the sales staff, which clearly upsets the non-sales staff. Dwight, not wanting Jim as a boss, complains about the unfairness of Jim's decision despite being a salesperson. Michael, who was scoffing at Jim, is then asked to give his idea, but he does not speak coherently about it, leading everyone to say that Jim was at least being direct despite having a bad idea. Michael and Jim go back into the conference room to decide how to handle the raise issue. They ultimately decide that the raises should be performance-based, and decide to take turns placing beans on employee pictures to determine how much of a raise each person deserves. Jim believes that it is a good idea, but when Michael and Jim leave the conference room, Dwight goes into the conference room and shows the employees their plan. Everyone gets upset at Michael and Jim for this, particularly Pam, whose picture did not have any beans, as Jim was trying to remain unbiased.
With the entire office now upset with both Michael and Jim, Dwight uses this opportunity to start an uprising against Jim personally. However, everyone in the office refuses to as they are more concerned about the raise issue. Michael then goes into Jim's office to check on him. Michael explains he felt terrible having to make those kinds of decisions on his own and he leaves to get Jim something. Jim comments that Michael is currently his only friend in the office at the moment, as everyone else, even probably Pam, is upset at him about the raise situation. Michael returns to give Jim his own new "World's Best Boss" mug and they share some gin together.
Meanwhile, Pam is trying to discreetly ask everyone to give cash as wedding gifts instead of actual gifts. She first tries Phyllis to no avail. She then manages to get Kevin to write her a check, and starts to feel guilty about asking people for simple cash, but she gets ecstatic when she sees that the check is made out to "Mrs. Pam Halpert." At the end of the episode, Ryan gives her an offer of either having $100 now or $5,000 in a year. She initially wants the $100, but after he tells her about an algorithm that can determine the winner of any college basketball game, she agrees to the $5,000. However, this allegedly requires a $50 investment from her, which she gives, later regretting it.
- Kevin's check to Pam was for $40.
- This is the first episode to feature the second manager's office.
- Jim's office appears out of nowhere.
- Dwight's speech to attempt to rally his co-workers against Jim is similar to that of Aragorn's when rallying the dead men of Gondor in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
- Pam has moved to Jim's desk.
- When Jim and Michael are debating with each other over the bonus money shortage, Michael continually calls Jim a “nerd”. Later on, in the season 9 episode Here Comes Treble, Dwight is shown eating Nerds candy, and he then proceeds to say he is eating “Jims”, which is the second time Jim is referred to as a “nerd.”
- When Jim and Michael are trying to figure out ways to distribute the limited bonus money and Jim says that Michael has a lot of weaknesses, Michael tells him to “enliven” him instead of “enlighten” him.
- As Michael runs to Jim's office and the rest of the office starts yelling at him, Kevin can be heard in the background asking again, "What does a bean mean?"
Connections to previous episodes
- The "World's Best Boss" mug is seen in nearly every episode and was introduced in the pilot. Michael apparently bought two, a callback from a deleted scene in Dwight's Speech.
- When prompted with the idea of a promotion, Michael tells David Wallace that he has to talk to "my guy at H&R Block," however, in the Season Four episode, Job Fair, Michael mentions that he doesn't know what H&R Block does.
- Despite making fun of Michael in Stress Relief because of his innocence when it comes to internet schemes, Pam seems quite prone to schemes as well, having previously crashed her computer in Fun Run after paying to download an alleged celebrity sex tape.
- Jim also suggests Michael creates a Pro and Con list during Casual Friday when Michael is deciding to keep Pam or Ryan for the sales position.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
|Subtle Sexuality||The Office: Season 6||"The Mentor"|
|#01||Gossip||#07||The Lover||#13||Secret Santa||#19||St. Patrick's Day||#25||The Chump|
|#02||The Meeting||#08||Koi Pond||#14||The Banker||#20||New Leads||#26||Whistleblower|
|#03||The Promotion||#09||Double Date||#15||Sabre||#21||Happy Hour|
|#04||Niagara, Part 1||#10||Murder||#16||Manager and Salesman||#22||Secretary's Day|
|#05||Niagara, Part 2||#11||Shareholder Meeting||#17||The Delivery, Part 1||#23||Body Language|
|#06||Mafia||#12||Scott's Tots||#18||The Delivery, Part 2||#24||The Cover-Up|