"The Duel" is the twelfth episode of the fifth season The Office and the show's 84th episode overall. It was written by Jennifer Celotta and directed by Dean Holland. The episode aired in the United States on January 15, 2009, on NBC. It was viewed by 8.50 million people.
Andy still hasn't found out about fiancee Angela's affair with Dwight seventeen days after Phyllis revealed it to everyone else in the office. Michael suggests that somebody inform Andy, but the entire office is against that idea; Jim is particularly concerned that Andy's past anger management issues may lead to in-office violence between Andy and the combative Dwight. Michael then asks Andy to accompany him to the parking lot before he leaves for a meeting with David Wallace. Michael carefully times the conversation so that he reveals the affair while simultaneously driving out of the parking lot. A shocked and dismayed Andy heads back into the office to confront Angela regarding the affair, but she continues to hold back, as everyone else looks on. Andy then confronts Dwight about it and challenges him to a duel in the parking lot over who gets Angela, which Dwight accepts. Angela finds this flattering. Jim, acting in Michael's stead, concedes that he does not have the power to prevent them from fighting outside of work, but he locates and confiscates most of Dwight's hidden weaponry throughout the office.
Meanwhile in New York, Michael is nervous as to why David Wallace called a meeting with him. He is, however, surprised and relieved to hear that David is proud of Michael for making the Scranton branch the most successful one, as the other branches are struggling due to the current economic crisis. David wants to know what Michael is doing to make his branch productive and Michael is unable to come up with a reason, speaking off topic for most of the meeting, but David understands that it is hard for someone to come up with a self-evaluation and lets him leave. Michael then thanks David for holding him in high esteem.
Dwight waits in the parking lot for Andy, who doesn't show up on time. Dwight then finds a note hanging in the bushes in an empty parking space from Andy, saying he is giving up. Andy is actually in his car (a Toyota Prius), which, as Oscar points out, is silent below 5 MPH (due to the electric motor). Because Dwight is unable to hear him, Andy drives into the empty space and pins Dwight between the car and the bush. After much banter between the two--in which Andy complains about Angela's affair, and Dwight makes fun of how pathetic he thinks Andy is--Andy reveals he had slept with Angela only twice. Dwight is shocked as Angela told him she was only sleeping with Dwight. They both head back into the office, where Andy makes a call to cancel his wedding cake (which was shaped like a sailboat) and Dwight throws out his bobblehead doll, which was a gift from Angela, as a dismayed Angela looks on.
- B.J. Novak (Ryan Howard) is credited but does not appear in this episode.
- The shot where Michael walks out of the Dunder Mifflin building is a real shot from New York City. However, if one looks very closely, a green screen was used.
- Andy says he has had sex with Angela twice, but two episodes before (in "The Surplus") he says he has "seen Angela naked zero times" - this implies that the two had sex twice in the time between the two episodes or he did not see Angela naked when having sex. In "Business Trip" (four episodes before this one), Andy tells Oscar he has not had sex with Angela at all.
- This is the second time Dwight's office weapons are confiscated, the first time is in the episode "The Negotiation".
Amusing Details - Caution, here be spoilers
- Angela's background on her computer is one of the pictures that she shows the camera of her and Sprinkles in Fun Run.
- Oscar is disgusted at Dwight for sleeping with Angela while she is engaged to Andy, however, in later years, Oscar has an affair with Angela's husband, Senator Robert Lipton.
- The office appears to be able to hear Michael and Andy's conversation in the parking lot from the confrence room, however in "New Boss", nobody is able to hear Michael's speech from the parking lot as he is escorted from the building. It should also be noted that in "New Boss", Michael is talking much louder, and they still aren't able to hear him.
- Michael appears to be worried that David is going to terminate him or his branch. This is understandable, as David's wording and hesitation seems to imply this.
- Andy appears to keep his anger issue in control when he discovers Dwight is sleeping with Angela, which is interesting because he has been set off way easier in the past.
- Angela is much more worried about Dwight figuring out that she is sleeping with Andy than she is worried about Andy figuring out she is sleeping with Dwight.
- In the previous episode when Phyllis tells the office about Angela and Dwight having sex, Michael was not present. Michael was taking Meredith to rehab. However, in this episode, Michael knows at the beginning of the episode and is the one to tell Andy about Dwight and Angela's affair. It is unclear how Michael learned about the affair.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
|Kevin's Loan||The Office: Season 5||The Outburst|
|#01||Weight Loss||#07||Business Trip||#13||Stress Relief||#19||Two Weeks||#25||Cafe Disco|
|#02||Business Ethics||#08||Frame Toby||#14||Lecture Circuit Part 1||#20||Dream Team||#26||Company Picnic|
|#03||Baby Shower||#09||The Surplus||#15||Lecture Circuit Part 2||#21||Michael Scott Paper Company|
|#04||Crime Aid||#10||Moroccan Christmas||#16||Blood Drive||#22||Heavy Competition|
|#05||Employee Transfer||#11||The Duel||#17||Golden Ticket||#23||Broke|
|#06||Customer Survey||#12||Prince Family Paper||#18||New Boss||#24||Casual Friday|
- Michael Scott "Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone for any reason ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been... ever, for any reason whatsoever..."