"The Cover-Up" is the twenty-fourth episode of the sixth season and the 124th episode of The Office overall. It was written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky who wrote "Scott's Tots" and "The Lover" and directed by Rainn Wilson, who marked his directorial debut with this episode. It will air on May 6, 2010 and will be the third to last episode of the season.
Jim and Pam prank Dwight by discussing him using Morse code in front of him. Dwight, who knows Morse code, asks Michael to intervene but cannot prove that the couple are doing anything more than clicking their office equipment. Michael, in a good mood due to his wildly successful relationship with Donna, is unsympathetic to Dwight's plight.
During a meeting, Michael asks the office for recommendation for an upcoming trip with Donna. In the meeting, the other members of the office, particularly Ryan and Kelly, convince him that she might be cheating on him. Worried sick, Michael hires Dwight to tail her to see if she is spending time with anyone else. Dwight follows Donna to her gym and attempts to seduce her. Donna rebukes him and calls security on him, whereby he openly admits he was sent there by Michael to watch her. An enraged Donna comes to the office to talk to Michael about the whole situation but the two forgive each other and reconcile by planning a private vacation together.
Andy receives a call from a concerned customer that a Sabre printer he bought caught fire during a routine print-job. Andy becomes frustrated when Gabe fails to take his customer's complaint seriously. Capitalizing on his fears, Darryl pranks Andy into believing he has uncovered a major conspiracy. Darryl is pranking Andy in retaliation for his blaming one of his mistakes on the warehouse a few years earlier, an act that put Darryl's career at Dunder Mifflin in jeopardy. After pretending to help Andy to not get fired for knowing that the printers may be dangerous, Darryl agrees to film Andy testing a printer in a typical fashion to test his burning printer theory. During the shooting of the video, while Darry is pranking Andy into speaking with a high pitch voice, the printer indeed catches fire and explodes. This confirms Andy's suspicions, and terrifies Darryl - who vows to never prank again.
Both Pam and Kelly become suspicious when Donna, wearing earrings that no woman would buy for herself, cannot remember where she got them, While Donna and Michael are planning their trip, Pam investigates Donna's Facebook account and finds pictures of her hugging and kissing another man. At first she and Jim had been skeptical of Donna cheating, and even berated Michael for having destructive tendencies with his personal life, as well as his eating a bowl of mayonnaise and olives due to stress. But now they realize his fears had been correct and try to warn him as best they can. Pam shows Michael the pictures she found and he confronts Donna with the evidence. At the end of the episode Donna reveals that she is indeed cheating, but not on Michael - with Michael.
- The episode is dedicated to the memory of Larry Einhorn, father of Randall Einhorn, the show's director of photography and occasional director.
- The episode title continues in the tradition of titles with multiple meanings. In this episode, there are two cover-ups: Donna hides her married status, and Sabre hides the fact that their printers catch fire.
- Andy and Darryl test the printer in the storage room previously home to The Michael Scott Paper Company.
- The printer Andy and Darryl are testing is the Sabre 9900 All-in-One Color Ink-jet
- After the episode aired, the producers of the show created the Dwight Schrute, P.I. Web site in which Dwight offers his services as a private investigator.
- This is Rainn Wilson's first episode that he directed. This season also featured John Krasinski and Mindy Kaling directing for the first time.
- P.F. Chang's is an American casual dining restaurant chain which serves American-Chinese cuisine.
- Facebook is a widely popular social networking site that was launched on February 4, 2004.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Lapin
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
|Subtle Sexuality||The Office: Season 6||"The Mentor"|
|#01||Gossip||#07||The Lover||#13||Secret Santa||#19||St. Patrick's Day||#25||The Chump|
|#02||The Meeting||#08||Koi Pond||#14||The Banker||#20||New Leads||#26||Whistleblower|
|#03||The Promotion||#09||Double Date||#15||Sabre||#21||Happy Hour|
|#04||Niagara, Part 1||#10||Murder||#16||Manager and Salesman||#22||Secretary's Day|
|#05||Niagara, Part 2||#11||Shareholder Meeting||#17||The Delivery, Part 1||#23||Body Language|
|#06||Mafia||#12||Scott's Tots||#18||The Delivery, Part 2||#24||The Cover-Up|