"Test the Store" is the seventeenth episode of the eighth season of the American comedy television series The Office and the show's 169th episode overall. The episode was written by Mindy Kaling and directed by Brent Forrester. It aired on NBC in the United States on March 1, 2012.
"Test the Store" contains many cultural allusions, including several to the NBC action-comedy series Chuck. The episode received mixed reviews from critics. According to the Nielsen Media Research, "Test the Store" was viewed by an estimated 4.95 million viewers and received a 2.5 rating/7% share among adults between the ages of 18 and 49. The episode ranked first in its time slot and was also ranked as the highest-rated NBC program of the night.
At the Sabre store opening, Dwight Schrute attempts to put on a theatrical presentation to impress Nellie Bertram. Dwight assigns the members of his team various tasks: Erin is to act as a disaffected hipster named Tabitha, to create hype for the Sabre Pyramid, Cathy is to flirt with the bloggers, Ryan is to give a presentation to wow the critics, Todd Packer is to play the part of a sexual predator — much to Packer's chagrin.
As the grand opening progresses, things begin to fall apart. Several bloggers notice Jim not using his Sabre Arrowhead phone, resulting in a reprimand from Nellie. Erin disappears with a group of seniors after Dwight drives them away, fearing their age will frighten the youth. Finally, Ryan has a panic attack and, after being consoled by Dwight and Jim — who imitate Kelly and his mother respectively in an attempt to calm him down — leaves to go to his parents' house. Jim is forced to give the presentation, which, despite a rocky start, impresses the crowd. After the opening, Dwight is named VP by Nellie.
Back in Scranton, Andy Bernard tries to protect Pam from a group of kids who are throwing pine cones at her, and a young girl, Tiffany, punches him in the eye. Andy tells a false story about stepping in when a "gang" harassed Pam, and Toby arranges a meeting in the conference room to discuss self-defense. Andy is then humiliated when Tiffany is brought in by her mother and half-apologizes to him and Pam. However, after a provoked Kelly begins physically harassing Toby, Andy steps in between the two to break the fight up, resulting in his other eye being blackened. The rest of the office laughs but shuts up when Andy points out he got hit twice because he defended other people who were being attacked. The episode concludes with Andy noting that he took a bunch of pain medication, drank a half a bottle of wine, and took his pants off, thus greatly improving his feelings as the day ends.
- Andy wanted Oscar to talk to his maid, Teresa. Oscar talked to Teresa in Spanish. After Oscar talked to Teresa on the phone, Andy told Oscar to come back because Teresa had Andy's keys.
- Nellie noticed the line formed already and the store doesn't open in an hour.
- Nellie told the crew she went to church to pray this morning. Dwight told Jim both of them were in a Latino church, E Jose but Dwight made it all up.
- Erin was hired as the hipster because of the pyramid and Stanley will pose as Lenny Kravitz. When they looked at a photo of Lenny, Erin believed Stanley looks like Al Roker's brother.
- Nellie declared she wanted people to believe everything is possible.
- Stanley was corrected that Matt Roker was named Chris. Stanley claimed he is Raven-Symone's father, Toucan-Symone.
- Ryan misses Scranton. Every night in Tallahassee, he gets drunk and watches porn. For some reason, Ryan didn't enjoy the way he did it in Scranton.
- Jim says he is not a performer. His mom thought that was funny because Jim did voice impressions.
- Chuck Bartowski, the main character from the NBC action-comedy show Chuck, is referenced several times and used to promote the Sabre Pyramid.
- A hipster is a term used to define a subculture of young, middle class adults and older teenagers. Hipsters are stereotypically portrayed as wearing non-conforming outfits as well as large, thick rimmed glasses.
- Erin mispronounces "Zooey Deschanel at the Coachella music festival".
- Mark Zuckerberg is the co-founder and CEO of Facebook.
- When Nellie was younger, she tried out for the Spice Girls, but failed to secure a call-back for "the black one."
- During Jim's presentation, the opening of the song "Clocks" by the British rock band Coldplay is played.
- Bill Gates is the former chief executive and current chairman of Microsoft.
- Cars 2 is a 2011 Disney/Pixar movie.
- Ryan yells at Jim and calls him Sherlock Holmes.
- Kevin mentions the Gremlins and "Chucky the doll" as examples of things that are "little, but dangerous."
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- James Spader as Robert California
- Catherine Tate as Nellie Bertram
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
Special Guest StarEdit
|Season 7||The Office - Season 8||Season 9|
|#01||The List||#07||Pam's Replacement||#13||Jury Duty||#19||Get the Girl|
|#02||The Incentive||#08||Gettysburg||#14||Special Project||#20||Welcome Party|
|#03||Lotto||#09||Mrs. California||#15||Tallahassee||#21||Angry Andy|
|#04||Garden Party||#10||Christmas Wishes||#16||After Hours||#22||Fundraiser|
|#05||Spooked||#11||Trivia||#17||Test the Store||#23||Turf War|
|#06||Doomsday||#12||Pool Party||#18||Last Day in Florida||#24||Free Family Portrait Studio|