"Promos" is the eighteenth episode of the ninth season of the American television comedy series "The Office" and is the show's 194th episode overall. It was written by Tim McAuliffe and directed by Jennifer Celotta. It aired on April 4, 2013.
In the episode, everyone in the office is excited when promos start running on TV for the documentary, but some private things are shown to the internet, including Angela cheating on the senator with Dwight. Dwight makes Angela jealous when he starts dating a brussel sprout farmer. Meanwhile Jim has a big meeting with Major League baseball player, Ryan Howard
The office is excited to see promos for the upcoming documentary "The Office: An American Workplace." However, many of the workers are dismayed to learn just how much of their activities have been recorded, and how much of their conversations the microphones picked up. Several excuse themselves and go to the warehouse to talk, turning off their microphones in an unsuccessful effort to keep the discussion private. Pete suggests that Pam talk to dismissed crew member Brian to learn more. It's noticeable that Pam seems to of miss the "old Jim", and questions Brian if he's changed. She reminiscences about the old times that she and Jim shared in the past. She does talk to Brian, primarily to talk about her recent troubles with Jim but Brian also informs her that the staff's private moments were still recorded, regardless of using their own microphones or not. This causes her to get upset and leave, once he tells her she practically had no privacy for the past 10 years. Jim discusses with Ryan Howard, and Darryl. Meanwhile Angela and Oscar, after some arguing, jointly call Angela's husband Sen. Robert Lipton to inform him that the documentary will probably out him and reveal that Angela slept with Dwight.
Dwight makes Angela jealous when he starts dating a Brussels sprout farmer. Meanwhile, Jim and Darryl have a big meeting with Major League baseball player Ryan Howard, a meeting that ends up with Darryl and Jim reading Ryan's self-written screenplay of a baseball player turned superhero.
Meanwhile Andy enjoys reading the comments from the promos and even replies to some of them, but becomes annoyed when some of them being insulting him. It is revealed at the end of the episode that some of the comments were from Nellie.
Connections to previous episodes
- The Pam Halpert "Get Glue" sticker was released alongside the episode.
- While watching stock footage of Michael, Nellie can be seen saying "Who is..." as she has never met Michael.
- Philadelphia Phillies slugger Ryan Howard, who meets with Jim and Darryl, is the acknowledged namesake of the character of the same name; in Season 4's Night Out, the DMI Ryan Howard claimed to be the baseball player while attempting to get inside a New York City nightclub.
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Jake Lacy as Pete Miller
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Clark Duke as Clark Green
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Catherine Tate as Nellie Bertram
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Ryan Howard as Himself
- Nora Kirkpatrick as Esther
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Brian
|Season 8||The Office - Season 9|
|#01||New Guys||#07||The Whale||#13||Junior Salesman||#19||Stairmageddon|
|#02||Roy's Wedding||#08||The Target||#14||Vandalism||#20||Paper Airplane|
|#03||Andy's Ancestry||#09||Dwight Christmas||#15||Couples Discount||#21||Livin' the Dream|
|#04||Work Bus||#10||Lice||#16||Moving On||#22||A.A.R.M.|
|#05||Here Comes Treble||#11||Suit Warehouse||#17||The Farm||#23||Finale|
|#06||The Boat||#12||Customer Loyalty||#18||Promos|