"Prince Family Paper" is the thirteenth episode of the fifth season The Office and the show's 77th episode overall. It was written by B.J. Novak and directed by Asaad Kelada. The episode aired in the United States on January 22, 2009. It was viewed by 8.74 million people.
CFO David Wallace enlists Michael to report on the success of a small family-owned local paper competitor named Prince Paper as he wishes to expand the company. Michael brings Dwight along to help gather information. Michael goes to the owner as a potential customer under his alias "Michael Scarn" while Dwight goes in as himself requesting a job. Michael succeeds in getting their customer list to use as a reference and he and Dwight leave victorious. However, Michael dents his car trying to get out of the parking space, which catches the attention of the Prince family. They come out to help fix the dent as much as they can as Michael watches. Michael is visibly moved by their kindness and has a change of heart regarding giving the customer list to Wallace, while Dwight remains unmoved. Back at the office, Dwight tries to convince Michael that he can't let his heart get in the way of business. Michael obliges to send the list to Wallace, but not before he tries to escape back to Prince Paper to give them back the list. Dwight manages to chase Michael down and take the list from him, causing him to finally give in. David Wallace calls Michael to congratulate him on getting him the list. Michael then explains he feels "bittersweet" about the ordeal, bitter because he potentially ruined a decent family, and sweet because he satisfied Wallace, and afterward claiming that as the reason for not liking bittersweet chocolate.
Meanwhile, the rest of the office start arguing over whether or not Hilary Swank is hot. Half of the office say she is while the other half say she isn't. The argument gets heated at various points. Jim temporarily convinces Kevin to say she is by having him imagine Hilary kissing him, only to have him switch back when he says the debate is whether or not she is hot, not if he would have sex with her. Angela, initially reluctant to join the debate, takes the "hot" side stating Kevin deserves to lose for saying that he thought it would be revealed in Boys Don't Cry that Hilary was actually a male. Kelly gets emotional when Toby says she isn't, making Kelly feel like she herself is not hot. Pam claims they shouldn't let the Kevins of the world decide who is hot or not, mentioning that they don't give Kevin full internet access. Oscar is seen in the board room giving an overhead presentation about the structure of Hilary Swank's facial features, ending by saying, "not hot". Stanley gives an uncharacteristically inspiring speech on how hot she is. At the end of the debate the sides are still tied, with Oscar noting there isn't much of a point to debating as people would still stay on their sides. At the end of the episode, Michael, oblivious of their debate, looks at photos of Hilary on the wall, saying she's hot, apparently casting the deciding vote. The company, Prince Family Paper finally closes down in Two Weeks
After this episode
- In Two Weeks, we learn that Prince Paper went out of business.
- Roger Prince owns a "World's Best Dad" mug, and Roger Prince Jr owns a "World's Best Son" mug, similar to Michael Scott's "World Best Boss" mug
- B.J. Novak (Ryan Howard) is Credited but does not appear in this Episode
- If you look closely, Jim is hysterically laughing while Stanley is giving his speech about Hilary Swsjsjdjdjddjdjdank
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Dan Desmond as Roger Prince
- Sharon Blackwood as Linda Prince
- Dan Bakkedahl as Roger Prince, Jr.
- Emily Rae Argenti as Rebecca Prince
|Kevin's Loan||The Office: Season 5||The Outburst|
|#01||Weight Loss||#07||Business Trip||#13||Stress Relief||#19||Two Weeks||#25||Cafe Disco|
|#02||Business Ethics||#08||Frame Toby||#14||Lecture Circuit Part 1||#20||Dream Team||#26||Company Picnic|
|#03||Baby Shower||#09||The Surplus||#15||Lecture Circuit Part 2||#21||Michael Scott Paper Company|
|#04||Crime Aid||#10||Moroccan Christmas||#16||Blood Drive||#22||Heavy Competition|
|#05||Employee Transfer||#11||The Duel||#17||Golden Ticket||#23||Broke|
|#06||Customer Survey||#12||Prince Family Paper||#18||New Boss||#24||Casual Friday|