- Michael claims to have a brother ("Pilot"), although he may have said that merely to get out of an embarrassing situation.
- Michael's mother lives in Dickson City, and she leaves the back kitchen window unlocked ("Take Your Daughter to Work Day").
- Michael's mother apparently has chats with Pam about Michael's personal life ("The Injury").
- Michael's stepfather's name is Jeff. His mother first moved in with him ("The Merger") before getting married. At the wedding, Michael served as the ring bearer, but he was so upset that he wet his pants and was replaced by Jeff's dog ("Phyllis' Wedding"). Jeff also took Michael fishing at Lake Wallenpaupack ("Traveling Salesmen").
Michael remains an idiot. He just really, really wants people to like him.
Michael has a "World's Best Boss" coffee mug. He has several others in his desk in case the one on display breaks.
|#||Episode||Michael says||He means|
|2.09||Email Surveillance||approachabler||more approachable|
Nicknames for Michael
|2.02||Sexual Harassment||Michael Snot||Todd Packer||Pun|
|2.07||The Client||Agent Michael Scarn||Himself||Movie script he wrote|
|2.10||Christmas Party||Asswipe||Todd Packer||General insult|
|2.15||Boys and Girls||Mike||Darryl||Traditional|
Quote then cite
|1.01||Pilot||I should run to answer it. Six Million Dollar Man!||(correct)|
|1.04||The Alliance||No signs of life down here. Star Trek.||(correct)|
|2.02||Sexual Harassment||Forward it like it's hot! Old School.||Snoop Dogg|
|2.04||The Fire||In business, image is everything. Andre Agassi.||(correct)|
|2.06||The Fight||You talkin' to me? "Raging Bull." Pacino.||"Taxi Driver", Robert DeNiro|
|2.13||The Secret||My lips are sealed. Bangles.||The Go-Go's.|
|2.14||The Carpet||I am Pam. Spicoli Guy.||Sean Penn in "I Am Sam" played Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"|
|2.18||Take Your Daughter to Work Day||Pam. Ms. Beasley if you're nasty! Janet Jackson.||(correct)|
|2.22||Casino Night||Let's get it started! Black-Eyed Crows.||Black Eyed Peas|
|3.18||Cocktails||Like buttah! Mike Myers, SNL.||(correct)|
|3.19||The Negotiation||Don't ever touch a black man's radio! Chris Tucker, Rush Hour.||(correct)|
|4.01||Fun Run||Excellent! Simpsons.||(correct)|
- In "The Merger", Michael attributes the plea, "Can't we all just get along?" to Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. instead of Rodney King.
- In "Cocktails", Michael attributes the De Lorean automobile to Lee Iacocca instead of John De Lorean.
A friend first, a boss second
Michael often subordinates his duties as a boss to his desire to be friends with his employees.
- In the episode "Health Care", he assigns the unpopular task of choosing a health care plan first to Jim, then to Dwight.
- In the episode "Halloween", Michael struggles to find a way to fire an employee while still remaining friends, first with Creed, then again with Devon.
- In the episode "The Injury", Michael reminds Pam, "Your job is being my friend."
- In the episode "Boys and Girls", Michael cannot bring himself to quashing the talk of forming a union because that would endanger his (perceived) friendship with the warehouse workers.
- In the episode "Branch Wars", Michael tries to entice a Utica employee to Scranton by offering to be his friend.
After becoming Michael's boss, Ryan learns to take advantage of Michael's craving for friends.
- In the episode "The Deposition", Ryan says, "Take the call, friend," in an attempt to get Michael to answer a client's call.
- In the episode "The Deposition", Ryan asks Michael, "Could we talk off the record? As friends?"
- For a list of uses of the phrase "That's what she said" see List of the times somebody says "That's what she said".
- For a list of uses of the phrase "Shut it" see List of the times somebody says "Shut it".
- "Those are just words":
- In the episode "Halloween", Michael confirms to Pam that his fake head is made of papier-mâché.
- In the episode "The Convention", Michael confirms to Ryan that he packed three packs of condoms.
- In the episode "The Negotiation", Michael confirms to Jan that he won't say "Yeppers."
- In the episode "Safety Training", Michael confirms to Darryl that he understands that he is not qualified to drive the forklift.
- In the episode "The Deposition", Michael responds "Yesh" when sworn in.
- In the episode "Dwight's Speech", Michael confirms to Dwight that he will attend his speech.
- In the episode "Women's Appreciation", Michael confirms to Jan that they are "good".
- In the episode "The Deposition", Michael confirms to Ryan that he "won't do anything to hurt" Dunder Mifflin with his testimony.
- When Michael gives a talking head interview in his office, there is often someone (usually Dwight) standing next to him.
- Michael sits and stands in uncomfortable positions. According to the DVD commentary, he does this even though it is uncomfortable because it looks impressive.
- In the episode "Diversity Day", Michael puts his foot on a chair during the Diversity Tomorrow video. He also sits on a chair backwards. (Neither is particularly uncomfortable but still illustrate how Michael wishes to look cool.)
- In the episode "The Secret", Michael puts his foot on Jim's desk.
- In the episode "Casino Night", Michael sits on the reception desk.
- In the episode "Product Recall", Michael puts his foot on the conference room table.
- In the episode "Women's Appreciation", Michael squats on a conference room chair.
- Michael says "lame" and other out-of-date slang.
- Michael is unable to play a musical instrument and is later overshadowed by another employee.
- In a deleted scene from "Booze Cruise", Michael tries to play Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water". Failing to play, he blames the guitar and gives it to Creed, who begins playing it professionally.
- In "Back From Vacation", Michael only plays the three notes from "Hot Hot Hot" on his steel drum. Later, Andy plays the entire song.
Behind the scenes
- The wardrobe staff buy Michael's suits from Sears, because it is one of the few stores that still carry two-button suits. 
|Characters of The Office|
Michael Scott | Dwight Schrute | Jim Halpert | Pam Beesly | Ryan Howard | Andy Bernard | Kevin Malone | Stanley Hudson | Angela Martin | Phyllis Vance | Meredith Palmer | Creed Bratton | Oscar Martinez | Kelly Kapoor | Toby Flenderson | Darryl Philbin | Erin Hannon | Gabe Lewis
Jan Levinson | Roy Anderson | David Wallace | Nellie Bertram | Karen Filippelli | Robert California | Holly Flax | Pete Miller | Clark Green | Bob Vance | Todd Packer | Mose Schrute | Hank Tate | Nate Nickerson | Val Johnson | Robert Lipton | Cathy Simms | Helene Beesly | Glenn | Hidetoshi Hasagawa | Madge Madsen | Esther Bruegger | Nick | Jo Bennett | Deangelo Vickers | Charles Miner