"Michael's Birthday" is the nineteenth episode of the second season of The Office. It was written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky and directed by Ken Whittingham. It first aired on March 30, 2006.
The Season Two DVD will most likely contain a number of deleted scenes from this episode. Notable cut scenes include:
- Calling cards are a form of pre-paid long distance telephone service. They became wildly popular in the 1990's, but the growth of mobile telephones with free long distance led to a decline in both popularity and social cachet. By the mid-2000s, calling cards were used primarly by lower-income people with poor credit.
- Eva Longoria is an actress best known for her role on the show Desperate Housewives. Teri Hatcher is another actress from that program.
- eBay is a large Internet auction site which allows anyone to put an item up for sale.
- Grey's Anatomy is a television medical drama.
- Princess Diana (formally, Diana, Princess of Wales) was the first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales, heir apparent to the British throne. She died in an automobile accident, and her funeral was watched by an estimated 2.5 billion people.
- The Longest Time is a song performed by Billy Joel. Dwight mis-identies the song as For the Longest Time and the singer as William Joel.
- Michael mis-identifies actor James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause as actor Luke Perry.
- M&Ms is a type of candy, American Pie 2 is a 2001 teen sex comedy, Cup Noodles (misstated as Cup of Noodles) is an instant ramen snack, and 69 is the nickname for a sexual position.
- Pam's announcement Luke, this is your father is a play on the line Luke, I am your father from the movie 'The Empire Strikes Back.
- Michael creates a yellow wristband from Post-it notes, essentially a counterfeit Livestrong wristband, a fundraising item for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. (Later in the episode, he shows off the wristband and says, "Live strong.")
- Michael's get our skate on is a snowclone of get one's X on, originally get one's groove on or get one's freak on, meaning to dance in a sexually provocative manner.
- The NHL is the National Hockey League, a North American professional hockey league.
- Dwight's birthday gift for Michael is a jersey for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, a professional hockey team in the AHL, a subsidiary league of the NHL.
- Nightswept is a fake brand of cologne.
- My Humps is a song by the group Black Eyed Peas.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Melora Hardin as Jan Levinson
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Lapin
- Eric La Barr as Cashier (uncredited)
- Susan Foley as Delivery Woman
- Justin Meloni as Delivery Man
- Susan Van Horn as Clerk