" Fundraiser" is the twenty-second episode of the eighth season of the American televison comedy series "The Office" and is the show's 174th overall. It was directed by David Rogers and written by Owen Ellickson. It originally aired on NBC April 26, 2012. It was viewed by 4.17 million people.
In order to appeaer sophisticated, Ryan pretends to be saddened about Smokey Robinson's death. Jim and Pam catch him when they reveal that Ryan cannot be a true fan as he is still alive. They try to persuade him to buy tickets to one of his concerts however upon learning how expensive it is, Ryan pretends to back out due to the opening act.
Dwight comes in warning the office that they are all about to be murdered as Andy is in the parking lot sitting in his car. Dwight believes that Andy is seeking revenge and may go on a shooting spree. Jim, Pam, Erin and Kevin go down to the parking lot to check on him and it is revealed Andy is down there to tell Erin he is going to take her to the fundrasier the office staff are attending.
Angela excitedly tells the cameras about how her husband, "The Senator" is hosting a fundrasier for dogs and Robert California has purchaesed two tables for the entire office staff.
Nellie tries to bond with Darryl however fails to connect with him. She reveals that she will try to connect with him at the fundrasier.
Andy arrives at the fundraiser and share a brief and awkeward reunion with the office staff. When asked how he is doing Andy talks about a rock opera he is writing and most of the staff write him off as "on the brink of a breakdown". Andy becomes excited about this idea and starts singing annoying much of the guests. Robert believes that Andy coming was a mistake and offers to give him money to take Erin out to a nice romantic dinner but Andy refuses. Robert then kicks Andy out of the group and Andy is forced to purchase a whole table to stay.
Oscar becomes excited when "The Senator"- Angela's husband appears to flirt with him and gives him his phone number. Oscar excitedly tells Pam and Jim and Pam seems excited for Oscar however Jim is skeptical.
The guests participate in a silent auction. Dwight however believes it is "Guess the Price" and puts down extremely high bids down. Kevin finds it amusing that Dwight is the "idiot of the office" and that before that "they didn't have one".
Jim succeeds in getting "The Senator's" number however Oscar and Pam tease him that "The Senator" probably thinks he is gay.
Nellie tries to bond with Darryl again and tries to talk about American food. Darryl realizes that Nellie has no idea what tacos are and offers to go buy them some. Nellie offers to pay for them and after realizing that she has no idea how much they cost Darryl takes more than they really cost.
While Andy is participating in the silent auction he runs in to David Wallace. The two catch each other up on events and David Wallace reveals that his vaccum cleaner toy- Suck It!- was sold to the military for $20 million. David tells Andy to forget about Dunder-Miflin.
Robert gives a speech on how the fundrasier's purpose is to raise money to take care of elderely or disabled dogs and explains how the dogs are all unlikely to ever find homes. Andy, in an attempt to outdo Robert, offers to adopt all 12. Robert tries to stop Andy however Andy gives his own speech about how he is actually doing something for the dogs and ends up making a fool of himself.
Darryl returns with tacos and watches in amusement as Nellie attempts to eat it by shoveling the filling out of the shell into her mouth. Darryl however decides to stop pranking her upon realizing that she is really trying to be friends.
Andy realizes that all the dogs he has adopted are all very needy dogs due to their various conditions. Jim, Pam, Erin, and Kevin come to comfort Andy and assure him that his life will get better.
As Oscar leaves he is dissapointed that the Senator isn't interested in him however as he leaves the Senator strokes his arm agaisnt his arm. Oscar becomes very excited as he takes it as a sign he is still attractive.
Andy's problem is solved when various office staff members agree to adopt the dogs. Darryl adopts a dog that helps Darryl excersice by taking him for walks. Kevin brags about his dog and how she just lies around all day and never seems to eat and smells horrible. The office staff become horrified when they realize that the dog is dead and Kevin doesn't seem to realize it. A clip of Kevin and his dog however show that the dog is in fact alive and is just extremely lazy.
- Ryan complains because he recently heard–erroneously–that notable musician Smokey Robinson died.
- Initially, Ryan refers to him as only "Smokey", which causes Pam to believe he is talking about Smokey the Bear.
- Ryan is only able to name one song that Robinson sung, "The Tracks of My Tears".
- Pam, however, is later able to remember that he sang "Tears of a Clown", and Jim references "I Second That Emotion".
- After Jim proves that Robinson is both still alive and playing at a local venue, Ryan tells him that he will be unable to attend because the opening band is Paul Anka, and that is "not what Smokey would have… does want!"
- During his pontificating rant, Ryan mentions that popular music is not all about "Jason Mraz and The Beatles", which shocks Dwight. Dwight lists of "Eleanor Rigby" and "Paperback Writer" and asks Ryan if he truly does not like those songs.
- Jujutsu is a Japanese martial art.
- Meredith and Stanley call Andy a jebroni, or a preppy douchebag.
- Jim says, "Life isn't Downton Abbey."
Connections to previous episodes
- Senator Lipton organizes a fundraiser for dogs because he loves them, but Angela strongly hates dogs and loves cats. It also reflects their marriage and his preference of guys.
- Andy's evil character Thomas Oregon is clearly based on Robert California.
- The 3-legged dog Andy ends up adopting is Lucy, who also stars on NBC's Parks and Recreation as 'Champion'.
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- James Spader as Robert California
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Catherine Tate as Nellie Bertram
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Zach Woods as Gabe Lewis
|Season 7||The Office - Season 8||Season 9|
|#01||The List||#07||Pam's Replacement||#13||Jury Duty||#19||Get the Girl|
|#02||The Incentive||#08||Gettysburg||#14||Special Project||#20||Welcome Party|
|#03||Lotto||#09||Mrs. California||#15||Tallahassee||#21||Angry Andy|
|#04||Garden Party||#10||Christmas Wishes||#16||After Hours||#22||Fundraiser|
|#05||Spooked||#11||Trivia||#17||Test the Store||#23||Turf War|
|#06||Doomsday||#12||Pool Party||#18||Last Day in Florida||#24||Free Family Portrait Studio|