"Blood Drive" is the 2nd episode of the fifth season of the television series The Office, and the show's 90th episode overall. It was written by Brent Forrester and directed by Randall Einhorn. The episode aired in the United States on March 5, 2012 on HBO. It was viewed by 8.63 million people.
In the cold open, a man shows up to sell a new phone system to the office. Every time he comes, Pam says that Michael is not in. Pam explains that this new system could connect callers directly to the various office workers, which she describes is "basically 95 percent of her job." Jim comes over to greet the man, pretending to be Michael Scott. The real Michael comes out and Jim calls him "Jimbo" and after some awkward confusion, the man leaves.
It’s Valentine’s Day at the office. Michael and Kevin enter the building in bad spirits over the holiday because they are single. Michael even goes as far to put Pam's flowers behind her desk. Michael announces that there will be a party for singles only. Jim and Pam agree to join Phyllis and Bob for lunch.
Michael meets a woman at a Valentine’s blood drive where they have a good conversation. However, Michael passes out after his blood is drawn and the woman is gone when he comes to. He finds a glove, thinking it is here.s. At the "Lonely Hearts Party" Michael gets the office workers to share break up stories. He asks Kelly to share about Ryan and Michael makes her feel worse when he says Ryan is in Thailand having random sex. Michael encourages Oscar to share his break up stories, Oscar agrees after some relentlessness from Michael, in which Oscar shares about how he put everything on the line to tell someone he was gay, but was rejected. Then Oscar's friend later called him and told Oscar he saw the man in a gay bar. Dwight and Kevin pair up with single women at the office “Lonely Hearts Party.” Kevin's woman seems to like him a bit while Dwight's gets upset when it is revealed he was just trying to get a sale from her. Michael is hoping that the woman at the blood drive will show up to retrieve her glove and, of course, talk to her again.
Meanwhile, Jim and Pam are having an enjoyable conversation with Phyllis and Bob, until the latter couple does not return from the bathroom. The food has arrived and Jim and Pam, tired of waiting, start to pick food from Phyllis's and Bob's plates. As Pam is reaching for another bite Jim scares her by exclaiming, "here they come." Pam then asks if the Phyllis and Bob dined and dashed to which Jim says they didn't dine so that is unlikely. Pam is worried that Phyllis and Bob weren't having a good time, so therefore they left. They then decide to check the bathroom and hear Phyllis and Bob having sex in a closet.
The episode ends with a scene that presumably happened earlier in the day. Stanley tries to get a cookie from the blood drive van saying he wants another one after giving blood. The nurse notices that he has a cottonball and tape on his arm and tells him that they have been using band-aids. Stanley acts confused and leaves the van when he runs into Phyllis and quietly says, "band-aids", to which Phyllis replies, "damn it." The camera then focuses on Creed leaving the blood drive van with a blood pack just poking out of his pocket.
Connections to previous episodes
- Jim previously pretended to be Michael Scott in Halloween.
- Michael's enthusiastic rendition of Fonzie's Aaay echoes his enthusiastic Whassup? in Pilot.
- In this episode, Pam gets flowers for Valentine's Day, while Phyllis gets sex. In the episode Valentine's Day, Phyllis gets flowers for Valentine's Day, while Pam gets sex.
- A Blood Drive is an event in which people are encouraged to donate blood.
- Valentine's Day is a holiday that celebrates romantic love. Symbols for the holiday include hearts and Cupid, the Roman god of erotic love (who causes people to fall in love by shooting them with a magic arrow).
- Jim quips, "Those mines aren't gonna sweep themselves." He refers to the game Minesweeper which comes with Microsoft Windows, the operating system used on computers in the office.
- Jim distracts Michael by saying Aaay (with thumbs-up gesture) in the style of the character Fonzie from the 1970s-1980's comedy Happy Days.
- Kelly receives a Valentine, short for Valentine's Day card.
- Michael calls himself a human juicebox, referring to an aseptic container for holding liquids, usually juice. He also makes puns on Hawaiian blood punch and Type O-Ocean Spray, referring to Hawaiian Punch and Ocean Spray, brands of fruit juice.
- Michael says, "We no need no stinkin relationships" (and points at Oscar) during the mixer, an allusion to the line "We don't need no stinking badges" commonly (but erroneously) attributed to the 1948 film The Treasure of Sierra Madre.
- In the sport of bowling, a perfect score is 300.
- The Eagles are a professional American football team who compete in the East Division of the National Football Conference (called the NFC East).
- The Circle Drive-In is a real drive-in theater in Dickson City.
- Kelly exclaims, "This is like a modern day Enchanted!" Enchanted is a 2007 movie about a fairy tale princess who is forced to cope with the modern world.
- Jim wonders whether Bob and Phyllis dined and dashed, slang for leaving a restaurant without paying.
- Michael talks about Cinderella and her glass slipper, a classic folk tale in Western culture.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Kathryn Aselton as the Glove Woman
- Lisa K. Wyatt as Lynn
- Tate Hanyok as Rhee
- Julie Remala as Nurse
- Jason Rogel as Erik
- Rob Brownstein as Phone Salesman
- Dorian Frankel as Unnamed Woman
|Kevin's Loan||The Office: Season 5||The Outburst|
|#01||Weight Loss||#07||Business Trip||#13||Stress Relief||#19||Two Weeks||#25||Cafe Disco|
|#02||Business Ethics||#08||Frame Toby||#14||Lecture Circuit Part 1||#20||Dream Team||#26||Company Picnic|
|#03||Baby Shower||#09||The Surplus||#15||Lecture Circuit Part 2||#21||Michael Scott Paper Company|
|#04||Crime Aid||#10||Moroccan Christmas||#16||Blood Drive||#22||Heavy Competition|
|#05||Employee Transfer||#11||The Duel||#17||Golden Ticket||#23||Broke|
|#06||Customer Survey||#12||Prince Family Paper||#18||New Boss||#24||Casual Friday|