Andy's Ancestry is the third episode of the ninth season of the American television comedy "The Office" and the show's 179th overall. It was written by both Jonathan Green and Gabe Miller and was directed by David Rogers. It originally aired on NBC October 4, 2012.
Fed up with Andy, Nellie decides to prank him, printing a fake genealogy that displayed him as a relative of First Lady Michelle Obama, who is known to have white relatives. Excited about being a relative of one of the most popular women in America, Andy announces this discovery to the entire office. He assumes his employees are equally as excited as he is, but Oscar actually forms a theory that Andy's ancestors were slave owners, that being the only possible explanation as to how he had a black relative. When Andy hears of this, he holds a meeting pointing out embarrassing relatives of his other co-workers, most notably asserting that Jim was related to former President Richard Nixon. This, coincidentally, is something that Pam says often because of their supposed similar appearance.
Meanwhile, Pam teaches Nelly how to drive, and on their trip, Pam realizes how could Nellie actually was. She's impressed that she pulled such a clever prank on Andy, and even talks to her about the feeling she has that Jim is keeping something from her. Nellie immediately thinks that Jim is having an affair, striking suspicion in Pam.
Later, Jim finally tells his wife that he took the job he was offered in Philadelphia.
- Dwight attempts to teach the Dothraki language from the popular book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The books were later turned into the HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones.
- Nellie says Michelle Obama "wants to wipe out fat children", a reference to her Let's Move! initiative.
- Dwight later compares learning Dothraki to learning Klingon, a fictional language from franchise Star Trek.
- Andy refers to Ladysmith Black Mambazo as "Ladysmith African-American Mambazo" in an attempt to prove he is not racist. Kevin later changes Andy's ringtone to the song "Dixie".
- After Andy asks her to find information regarding the relatives of the office members, Nellie intentionally lies and tells Andy that Kevin is related to John Wayne Gacy and John Wayne Bobbitt.
- He is disappointed to learn that he is not related to either John Wayne or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, whom he erroneously calls "Wayne".
- Andy also informs the office that Jim is related to former president Richard Nixon and that Meredith is related to infamous axe-murder suspect Lizzie Borden.
- Before he realizes that all of the office members ancestors are fakes, Dwight admits that his were members of the German American Bund, a pro-Nazi group in the 1930s.
- Nellie jokes that she's related to American figue skating champion Tonya Harding.
- After the release of the episode's plot synopsis, Geni.com, a genealogy and social networking website, was able to prove that Ed Helms is in fact Michelle Obama's 18th cousin once removed.
- The Jim Halpert "Get Glue" sticker was released alongside the episode.
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Catherine Tate as Nellie Bertram
- Clark Duke as Clark Green
- Jake Lacy as Pete Miller
- Paul Liberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin-Lipton
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Creed Bratton as Creed Bratton
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Lapin-Vance
- Andy Buckley as David Wallace (voice only)
- Jack Coleman as Robert Lipton
- Randall Park as Steve